Thursday, January 29, 2015

Hobbies and Decorating

It’s hard to believe we have been here a month!  It’s also hard to believe the first month of 2015 has ended. These volunteer gigs can really fly by!

We headed down to Key West last weekend for their annual craft festival.  We've recently bought a few decorations for the RV and bought this cute little hand-carved pelican at the festival. Each piece of wood is carved and stained separately, and then the piece is glued together. The artist had pieces of all sizes, but we don't have a lot of wall space so chose this small one, about 4" tall.

An art gallery here on Big Pine Key was having a special exhibit that we went to.  While there we found this beautiful print that we had to have. We seem to have a critter theme!

I have also picked up a few new magnets along the way:

I’m still crocheting and, once I discovered I can buy all they yarn I need from Amazon, I haven't missed the big box store (too much). I usually work on 2 or 3 (sometimes more) afghans at the same time.  It’s fun to finish several afghans within a few days of each other.

I've finished 3 afghans this month and have 3 new ones started. Here is the finished "Grinnin' Gator".
We’ve been busy and having fun. We are getting into more of a routine with our volunteer jobs and are learning more about the area..

By the way, have you ever seen a National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center located in a strip mall?

More on this interesting refuge soon.

Teri

4 comments:

  1. Strip mall VC? Nope! I really like that gator afghan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you work on several afghans at once rather than finishing each sequentially? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A large one like Gator takes a month or longer to complete and is very tedious. I work on afghans that work up quicker at the same time just to take a little break.

      Delete