Thursday, March 7, 2013

The sun, the moon, and Sandhill Cranes

Once a week we head out to an area here at Laguna that has thousands of Sandhill Cranes, Snow Geese, and White-Fronted Geese.  The dawn fly out is an unbelievable sight (and sound).  If you have ever been to Bosque del Apache, you know what I'm talking about.  Except - we are in an area by ourselves, and, we are not freezing our butts off.

We have already finished our waterfowl count for this week so this morning we drove into the refuge just to take pictures.

I've cut this video to about 13 seconds.  Turn your sound up!



Teri

5 comments:

  1. I love the sound of sandhill cranes. I would have thought that they would be migrating north by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't noticed a drop in numbers yet. Last year the cranes left at the end of January and the geese about mid-February. This year seems to be quite a bit cooler, maybe that has something to do with it.
      Teri

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got the sound on the 2nd try... really love hearing the cranes... kind of eerie... like I'm their are memories of the past in my head that aren't even my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Sharon. I think it's a sad, lonely sound. It's better to see them at the same time, then it seems like they are saying “Hey, move over, you’re crowding me!”
      Teri

      Delete