Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Some (more) Assembly Required

In the last blog I mentioned the simple request to assemble a new desk before we left.  I also mentioned that it turned out to be a large office suite that came in nine different boxes. Once we had removed the 250 gallon aquarium and relocated several file cabinets it was time to begin assembly.

1.Open a heavy box and pull out a flat stack of shrink-wrapped parts.


2. Spread everything out on the floor and find the instructions!!  Each box came with 50-100 different pieces of hardware including strange fasteners, screws, nails, hinges, drawer glides, etc.  It was really important to get those sorted out.

3. Step-by-step, piece-by-piece, put everything together.  Remember to nominate whoever invented the cordless drill for the Nobel Prize.  I don't know how we ever put anything together without one!!

It took me half a day to assemble this first module. I really thought that we'd need to extend our stay to get this thing finished.  Since Teri was still filling file cabinets I was without my helper, and that makes a huge difference.  Having someone to sort parts, find the correct piece, hold parts while I fasten, etc. is priceless!!

The next day things went more quickly.  I was more familiar with the assembly, and more importantly had Teri to help.


More parts, more instructions.

The main desktop is finished.

Third day, add the credenzas and the connecting bridge.

Done. Altogether we utilized over 1000 pieces of hardware to put this thing together!!

So the next time someone asks if we will put their desk together, we'll get a little more information.  But we'll still say yes!!

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment