Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pretty Little Hummer

We recently posted pictures of a male Rufous Hummingbird that claimed the feeder just outside the door of our trailer.  That feeder has been visited by Broad-tailed and Calliope hummingbirds, but "The Boss" is quick to run them off.

I finally got some good pictures of a male Calliope Hummingbird on the feeder.  I think that the bright gorget feathers are attractive because they are streaked rather than the solid colors of other hummingbirds.

At a length of 3.25" and weighing 0.1 ounce, this is the smallest North American bird.




Mark

3 comments:

  1. Really nice shots! What a gorgeous little bird. We have only the ruby throats here... guess we'll takes what we gets....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd sure like to see that little Calliope. I know what you mean about the bossy rufous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a beautiful hummingbird! Love the pics. Earn and I just got a new camera and your pics make me want to learn how to use it! LOL

    ReplyDelete