Thursday, June 23, 2011

Fatty Ground Score, McLobster, Pimento Cheese, Eh!

Well, we’re sure not in Texas!

The park manager has this very strange saying “Fatty Ground Score.” I thought he was just making up stuff!

So, I looked it up on Urban Dictionary. [Ground Score is something you find on the ground that makes you so happy that you yell out "SCORE!".]

Hummmm, sounds strange to me.

We’ve also hear Eh! a lot. We’re very close to the Canadian border and see a lot of New Brunswick license plates on cars in our area. “Eh” is equivalent to the American "huh?" or "right?"

Pimento cheese - nobody knows what I’m talking about! They’ve never heard of it (even at Walmart). When we asked about it at one grocery store they showed us what they call “pub cheese” which is like thick Cheese Whiz.

And, of course, no Mexican food anywhere! We are really missing our favorite Mexican food restaurant in Elgin (Morealia’s) and our favorite Mexican food restaurant in Fredericksburg (Mamacita’s) and our favorite Mexican food restaurant in ...

Well, you get the point. But we sure can get lobsters and lobster rolls everywhere we go. Even the McDonalds advertises lobster rolls (McLobster).

The black flies are about over with. The mosquitoes come and go and the moose flies are starting to come out.

It hasn’t rained for a couple of days and the high got all the way up to 72 today!

We saw this cutie while driving around a couple of days ago.



Thanks for stopping by.
Teri

5 comments:

  1. You know, it's hard to find pimento cheese in the supermarkets here -- but people know what it is. They used to carry it but int he past several years I can't find it any more. I've started making my own. It's very easy. A little cream cheese (room temp.) some cheddar (shredded), a little shot of tabasco, and of course pimentos (which are nothing but red bell peppers roasted and peeled and chopped. It's really rather better than store-bought because it's fresher.

    As to Mexican food -- if you come to Jersey City we will take you to our favorite Mexican place -- a little hole in the wall palce that has very good MEXICAN food, which is far different from other Spanish foods that, while good, are NOT MEXICAN! Got to be careful here because there are so many Hispanic ethnic groups!

    "Fatty" ground score -- I got the ground score part (thanks to your explanation), but the "fatty" part is still puzzling.

    And finally, "eh" is so funny sounding when you're not used to it, isn't it? You hear it a lot in the Northern U.S. (near Canada), but no where else in the U.S., and if you're not used to it it sounds strange, right? "Eh" to me is kind of like "right?" or "you know?". Sort of a question at the end of a sentence. The inflection on "eh" always seems to go up at the end, just like a question, for sure. A bit like "huh", too, as you mentioned. Just sounds a little different, eh? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have started making my own pimento cheese - it’s amazingly good, much better than store bought.

    I'll start cooking up my own TexMex if we really get homesick.

    I don’t know what the ‘fatty’ part of ground score means. I’ll have to ask the park manager next time I see him.

    Mark has been throwing a few Eh’s in when he talks - for some reason it comes quite naturally to him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eh?? But when I walked around the campground last night, I asked one family "How are ya'll doing tonight?" As I walked away I overheard the little girl asking her parents if they had heard me say "ya'll"!!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teri -- you are for sure going to have to make your own Tex-Mex! I make my own black beans, then make great black bean enchiladas! A lot of work, but I've never found anything outsdide of Texas that tastes as good as homemade black bean enchiladas (in the Tex-Mex realm, that is).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! No one says "y'all" up here! They must have thought your were a "furriner"!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete